Sunday, April 29, 2012

Jack of all trades, master of none.

I've always sort of considered myself a jack of all trades...I may not have tried everything yet but I've got my hands in as many things as I possibly can at any given moment.
I started off crafting: some clothes pin angels, moved on to dream catchers, from there painting on slate because I didn't have canvas.
I positively loved those little kits you could get at the store with everything you needed inside.
Even now I don't like coming across a project I just have to try but don't have the materials for.

I moved on to college and a supplementary sculpture class taught me about working with clays and chicken wire (which really hurts when the teacher doesn't tell you to get wire tools ahead of time). I loved working with clay, though when the class ended I had over half a bag of red clay I never got around to using during class, and could no longer use without my suddenly revoked kiln access. Not that I didn't make a few extra pieces that were never fired, and would have probably broken by now if not sealed in thick acrylic paint.

Eventually an introduction to the internet showed me things I'd never even dreamt of, showed me tools and materials I'd never seen before. I was introduced to the art of leather mask making (that one is still on my someday when I get the materials list), shown stained glass effects without cutting up glass, leaned how to make unique jewelry without having to search forever for what I wanted in a store. And the photography! I'd always been a bit of a shutterbug but was frustrated to no end with cheap disposable cameras and a film point and shoot that could not focus. I've only had what I consider a good camera (still a point and shoot but digital with focus and zoom; a definite step up) for the past 6 or 7 years.

I've recently gotten into the papercraft side of things, quilling, making stickers and embellishments, scrapbooking. I've also gone back to painting, but this time adding more texture, using materials I didn't have available to me before and more notably, painting on actual canvas. I really love the dollarstore for coming to town with their affordable materials. I've also gathered the materials to start trying felting, I'm always on the hunt for more things to try.

Maybe, someday I'll even post a bit of my writing here, though I'm more critical and nervous about that than most of the things I create. But if there's one thing you can expect from this blog, is that no two days are ever the same, and neither are the posts.

Patches says hello by the way. ;)




Patches looks on

No comments:

Post a Comment